What's in a name? Great meanings? Parents' fav actors/singers? Something unique?
We've been thinking of what to name our little Princess since the day we found out her gender. I googled at chinese websites and had a whole list of very nice names for her. Unfortunately most sounded weird when we add in the surname, Chee = 朱 = Zhu (in hanyu pinyin) = same pronounciation as PIG in chinese/canto. What a headache!
Meanwhile my sister happily gave her a name = 朱咪咪 (zhu mimi) named after a HK actress. And we've been calling her Mimi or Princess since then ;p
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Big scare from bb
June 6 - We went for gynae check-up and did the OSCAR test which tests for probability of Down Syndrome (DS). It consists of a blood test and a more detailed scan that measures the neck thickness of bb. The gynae took a long time to measure the neck and he looked unusually stern then. When the scan was over, he told us bb's neck thickness is above the normal range. In other words, bb is considered at risk of DS. Our hearts sank. The option was either to do a more detailed testing known as CVS which is the drawing of placenta cells from the womb or live with the risk. Doctor didn't even bother to proceed with the blood test.
We were at a loss. CVS testing carries a risk of miscarriage and we didn't want to subject bb to such a risk. What if the test comes out negative but we lose bb as a result of CVS? If we don't do the test, are we able to handle bb if the risk probability turns out to be true? It was a hard decision to make. Hubby's take was to take the DS risk while I wanted to do CVS for a confirmed answer. Finally we went to ask Guan Yin Ma for advice. It was an average lot but both lots had same meaning of "bb will be protected by mother". It still didn't put our minds to ease so the next day I went for the OSCAR blood test.
June 9 - Clinic called in the morning with bad news. With the blood test result & neck thickness result combined, my risk of DS is 1:248, meaning a risk of DS baby out of 248 babies. Normal ratio for my age group is 1:500+. The nurse told me to think through whether I can accept the risk ratio or do CVS. As hubby & I had a discussion on this b4 the call, I immed scheduled the CVS test the same day in the late afternoon. Unfortunately hubby was at work and couldn't be with me during the procedure.
The procedure was done at the clinic. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of needles, else I think might have fainted. First was a small needle to numb the area, then a bigger/longer needle to reach the placenta, finally an even longer needle to extract the cells. All the while I could see the doctor in action and on the ultrascan screen at the same time. The nurse was very nice, held on to my hand for most of the time. Doctor also gave me a little bear to grab on. The whole things was over in around 15-20mins and I was led to a recovery room to rest for the next hour. Doctor did another scan after that to ensure bb's ok then I left. Hubby arrived soon after to bring me home. For the next few days I was on bed rest most of the time. We were moody and tried not to talk about the test.
June 14 - Clinic called with good news in the morning. Really a great relief! Also found out the gender as CVS checks all the chromosomes, including that of gender. We've a little princess!
Glad everything turned out well. Nowadays hubby will on/off "scold" little princess for scaring us :)
We were at a loss. CVS testing carries a risk of miscarriage and we didn't want to subject bb to such a risk. What if the test comes out negative but we lose bb as a result of CVS? If we don't do the test, are we able to handle bb if the risk probability turns out to be true? It was a hard decision to make. Hubby's take was to take the DS risk while I wanted to do CVS for a confirmed answer. Finally we went to ask Guan Yin Ma for advice. It was an average lot but both lots had same meaning of "bb will be protected by mother". It still didn't put our minds to ease so the next day I went for the OSCAR blood test.
June 9 - Clinic called in the morning with bad news. With the blood test result & neck thickness result combined, my risk of DS is 1:248, meaning a risk of DS baby out of 248 babies. Normal ratio for my age group is 1:500+. The nurse told me to think through whether I can accept the risk ratio or do CVS. As hubby & I had a discussion on this b4 the call, I immed scheduled the CVS test the same day in the late afternoon. Unfortunately hubby was at work and couldn't be with me during the procedure.
The procedure was done at the clinic. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of needles, else I think might have fainted. First was a small needle to numb the area, then a bigger/longer needle to reach the placenta, finally an even longer needle to extract the cells. All the while I could see the doctor in action and on the ultrascan screen at the same time. The nurse was very nice, held on to my hand for most of the time. Doctor also gave me a little bear to grab on. The whole things was over in around 15-20mins and I was led to a recovery room to rest for the next hour. Doctor did another scan after that to ensure bb's ok then I left. Hubby arrived soon after to bring me home. For the next few days I was on bed rest most of the time. We were moody and tried not to talk about the test.
June 14 - Clinic called with good news in the morning. Really a great relief! Also found out the gender as CVS checks all the chromosomes, including that of gender. We've a little princess!
Glad everything turned out well. Nowadays hubby will on/off "scold" little princess for scaring us :)
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
