Our little Princess Miyoko 朱明艳 has arrived on 14 Dec 2011! Miyoko (Japanese kanji 美代子)means "beautiful child for generations". Her Chinese name means bright and pretty.
She was due to arrive by 13 Dec but she was late. On the 13th, we went for check-up. Gynae gave us choice to induce that week or wait max. a week later. Hubby n I decided to induce on 13th. We went for a quick lunch then rushed to home to pack my hospital bag before heading down to the hospital.
Mood was quite relaxed on the way there although deep in my heart, I was very worried about inducing labour as I've heard many cases where it failed and ended up as emergency c-section. Upon reaching the hospital, the staff brought us to the labour ward. Changed into hospital gown, cleared my bowels and rest on bed at around 3pm while hubby settled the admission paperwork.
After the drip for induce labour started, the contractions came on steadily. I've always thought the pain is at the lower abdomen but it's actually near my ribcage. It was bearable but at 5pm I decided to take epidural. Once on epidural, it wasn't that painful anymore but I started shivering and didn't stop till 2 hrs later, followed by fever. All side effects of epidural. We killed time by watching tv. I tried to sleep but it was difficult with the shivering, headache & fever.
Doctor burst my waterbag at 6pm when dilation was 3cm. The midwife told me I've a lot of water and it's greenish, meaning baby has started to poo inside me. Hearing that, I'm glad we made the decision to induce her coz I don't want baby to eat her own poo inside!
At 10pm, my dilation was 4cm which is considered slow. Doctor increased my drip dosage but that caused baby's heartbeat rate to drop so he lowered the dosage. At 1am, dilation remained unchanged at 4cm. At this point, my doctor told me frankly that labour isn't progressing well and my cervix is begining to swell. I was given 2 options: wait another 3hrs to see if I'll dilate further or go for c-sect. We chose to wait. It must have been the longest 3hrs I've waited. I couldn't sleep due to headache & fever while hubby was snoring away!
At 4.30am, no change in dilation and cervix swollen, meaning I have to be cut up! Immediately the nurses sprang into action, calling the doctors, operating theatre team etc. Amidst all the action in the labour room, hubby was still in sleepy state. As I'm opting for epidural instead of GA, the nurse asked my hubby if he wants to be present in the OT. While he was thinking in his dreamy state, I immed replied for him "Yes!". I was afraid of being alone and awake while being cut. I also wanted him to witness the birth of his little princess.
In the OT, the anaesthetist asked me twice if I want to be asleep but I chose to be awake. He administered the drugs and asked me if could move my legs and I managed to do so, surprising him. I suspect he didn't dare to administer a high dose. I also almost puked which I think could be due to the drugs. Hubby was beside me all the while but I didn't realise it. I thought c-sect means a long cut across tummy and carry baby out. Wrong! It means cut a 12-13cm line to create hole big enough for baby's head to be pushed out like in natural birth. I didn't expect that at all. The anaesthetist was pushing my tummy with all his might. Although no pain, I could feel the pushing force. Finally in what seemed like a long time (actually few minutes only), I heard the baby's cries. And that's when I was aware of hubby's presence beside me coz he started to sayang my head. I guess before that he's at a loss on what to do, coz he saw my tummy being cut and the bloody insides. No more pig organs soup for him!
When the nurse brought her over to us, I was overwhelmed with emotions. Tears kept flowing. I can finally meet this lovely little one who has been inside me for the past 9 months. I'm going to miss her kicks and hiccups in my tummy. Going to miss sayang my tummy and talking to her everyday. The anaesthetist helped us take a few photos then hubby left with the nurse and baby to the nursery while the doctor sewed me up.
I guess by then either the drugs effect was wearing off or it wasn't able to control the womb contraction pain. I suddenly felt intense pain at my stomach. I remember I kept saying aloud it's painful and cried. The anaesthetist told me it's part of process and next moment he put a mask over me. Probably to numb my pain & shut me up! Almost immediately I became very drowsy. Felt them transferring me to the ward, heard the nurse telling my hubby that all single rooms are full and I'll be in a double room for time-being but I couldn't say anything or move.
When I was more awake an hour later, I felt very lonely. Hubby was nowhere in sight, I couldn't reach the bedside phone to call him, baby wasn't around. Then came those irritating promoters selling their family & baby photo package, baby's hair brush package etc. I wish the hospital stop them coz it's interrupting my rest! Hubby came in later coz he thot I was sleeping and it's not convenient for him to be in the room before 8am since the other bed is occupied. I was transferred to a single room later in the day.
| Welcome to the world, little Princess! |
Can't believe we've been upgraded to PARENTS status now! Now I really start to feel old liao....
1 comment:
sounds scary!!!!!!!!!!!! :S
Post a Comment