Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's the thought that counts

Hubby isn't the type who showers me with flowers & gifts coz he finds it impractical and a waste of money. Not even on special occassions like my birthday unless I bug him about it for days. Expensive gifts? That's even more rare coz I'm not a jewellry nor branded goods person and he also don't find it worthwhile. I think to date, the most expensive gift is my wedding band, followed by my iphone. Oh, plus the annual short trips to Malaysia/Batam sponsored by him. I used to envy friends who were showered with nice gifts. But now I realise I have the best gift of all. His love & care.

He'll cover me with blanket when i kick it off at night, turn the shades to darken the room if I'm still sleeping in morning, turn down the tv/radio volume when i doze off at home/in car, keep the last slice of bread for my breakfast while he eat biscuits, wait till late hours to fetch me home after my chill-out with friends, buy me special shampoo & hair tonic when he noticed I'm suffering hair loss, give me shoulder massages when I'm tired. And the list goes on. I feel loved and am very appreciative of what he does.

I'm not sure what I've done for him. I always throw tantrums and bully him. Last night I felt especially guilty when I found out he didn't eat dinner. He was on leave, relaxing at home. Instead of going home, I went for dinner for colleagues and left him alone at home and told him to standby to fetch me home at 10pm. Although in the end he joined my colleagues & I at the ktv from 10pm to 2am, I knew if given a choice he'd rather stay at home.

It's time I stop taking him for granted. I will now spend more quality time with him and stop bullying him. And learn to cook better so that he can enjoy home-cooked meals more often.

No comments: